TBS represented individuals and entities who purchased organic IKO roofing shingles under various brand names or product names, including but not limited to the following:
Chateau, Renaissance XL, Aristocrat, Total, Armour Seal, Superplus, Armour Lock, Royal Victorian, New Englander, Imperial Seal, Cathedral XL, Ultralock 25, Armour Plus 20, Armour Tite, Chateau Ultra Shadow (laminated organic), Cathedral XL, Crowne 30, Château East, and Chateau West
The consumers alleged that IKO marketed and warranted its roofing shingles as durable, long-lasting, and backed by an iron-clad warranty. However, the plaintiffs contended that IKO designed and manufactured defective roofing shingles that caused them to fail prematurely, and IKO refused to stand behind its warranty promises.
The Court approved a settlement on April 11, 2019, in which IKO agreed to:
- extend existing (non-expired) Shingle warranties by five years;
- provide new Shingle warranties for five years after the date of expiration for warranties that expired five or fewer years prior to the date of the Settlement Agreement;
- limit the payment reduction factor on the final year of Shingle warranties;
- clarify their Shingle warranty claims procedures, including the language of goodwill releases; and,
- provide class members who submit valid Shingle warranty claims the option of selecting cash payments or replacement fiberglass shingles of equal or greater value.
To submit a claim or for additional details regarding the settlement, please visit: IKO Organic Roofing Shingles Class Action Settlement Website
For more information, see the Contact Us section of the settlement website.