Jake provides counseling and strategic negotiation advice to clients on a wide variety of technology transactions and partnerships, including intellectual property licensing, software and hardware licensing and development, silicon design and manufacturing, and sponsored research at both public and private institutions.
Jake also represents clients in state and federal courts on matters ranging from intellectual property disputes, business torts, and breach of contract to real property disputes, consumer class actions, and antitrust. In addition to first- and second-chairing multiple cases to verdict in state and federal courts, Jake has successfully mediated and arbitrated a variety of matters.
While in law school, Jake completed the Mandela Institute’s Global Justice Advocacy Program at the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa and worked with a trial court in Uganda. Before law school, Jake was an intern for both a member of the Scottish Parliament and a United States senator.
- J.D., cum laude, Seattle University School of Law
- Winner, Cheney/Metzger Legal Writing Competition
- Winner, CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Legal Writing
- B.A., cum laude, Washington State University, Honors College
- University of Edinburgh Institute of Governance
- University of St. Andrews, Foreign Study Program
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern Division of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, 2014-2017
Professional and Community Involvement
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington State Association for Justice
- Bike Works, Volunteer
News & Events
TBS Ranked as a Best Law Firm in the 2019 US News - The Best Lawyers ®Read more
Three TBS lawyers named 2019 The Best Lawyers in America©Read more
Chase Alvord receives Fellowship in Construction Lawyers Society of AmericaRead more
Rebecca Solomon and Lauren Hillemann Join the Tousley Brain Stephens TeamRead more
Tousley Brain Stephens is one of the best law firms in Seattle. Fast, nimble and relationship focused.Aaron Blank - The Fearey Group Contact Us
Janissa - I would never talk to any lawyer about anything until I talk to you first. You are just simply AMAZING and not only did you go completely above and beyond to ensure my daughter's trust was safe and secure, but every time I thought I couldn't go on, you constantly assured me that everything would be all right.Sophia Cosola Contact Us
Rodger and team worked diligently to ensure that our acquisition of Media+ went through as smoothly as possible. Rodger is a wealth of knowledge and provided the consultation and counsel that we needed in order to move our deal forward and have a successful transition.Lauren Portman, Managing Partner - Media+ Contact Us
Featured Article: Opportunity Costs of LitigationMore advice
Rodger Kohn outlines the differences between non-disclosure, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements that every employee and employer should know.